Alex Pretti was a 37-year-old intensive care nurse who was fatally shot by federal agents in Minneapolis on January 24, 2026. The incident occurred during demonstrations against a federal immigration crackdown. The case has raised serious questions after multiple videos and witness accounts emerged.
Authorities said the shooting involved U.S. Border Patrol agents. Family members, witnesses, and civil rights groups have disputed parts of the official account. The incident has drawn national attention.
Alex Pretti Shooting: What Is Confirmed So Far
Alex Jeffrey Pretti was an American citizen living in Minneapolis. He was born in Illinois and graduated from Preble High School in Green Bay, Wisconsin, in 2006. Before becoming a nurse, he worked as a research scientist.
Pretti later studied at the University of Minnesota and entered the nursing profession in 2011. At the time of his death, he was employed as an ICU nurse at the Minneapolis Veterans Affairs hospital. His nursing license had been issued in 2021 and was active.
Pretti was also a member of the American Federation of Government Employees. Public records showed no serious criminal history. Authorities confirmed he legally owned a firearm and held a valid Minnesota concealed carry permit.
The shooting occurred around 9:05 a.m. CST near 26th Street and Nicollet Avenue. Witnesses said federal agents attempted to enter a restaurant and were denied entry. Video footage showed Pretti filming officers during the encounter.
According to recordings reviewed by several outlets, Pretti moved to the sidewalk and appeared to assist two individuals during a confrontation. An officer used pepper spray on him. Moments later, Pretti was shoved and fell backward while holding another person.
Videos show officers pinning Pretti to the ground. An object was used to strike him during the restraint. Within seconds, multiple gunshots were fired.
The Department of Homeland Security stated that Pretti approached agents with a handgun. The agency said an officer fired in self-defense while attempting to secure the weapon. DHS maintained that the use of force was justified.
However, several videos appear to show Pretti holding a phone in one hand. Witnesses who later provided sworn statements said they did not see him draw or point a firearm. Some footage showed a federal agent pulling out a gun during the struggle.
Analysis reported by The New York Times noted that officers were heard shouting about a gun several seconds after Pretti was already restrained. The outlet stated that the timeline shown in videos raised questions about the sequence of events.
Broader Context Around the Alex Pretti Case
The shooting happened during a period of heightened tension following another fatal encounter involving federal officers earlier in January. Protests in Minneapolis had increased after that earlier incident. Pretti had attended some of those demonstrations.
Family members said he was aware of the risks and tried to remain cautious. His death has intensified scrutiny of federal law enforcement actions during public protests. Civil rights organizations have called for an independent investigation.
The case has also fueled online debate. Videos circulating on social platforms have been analyzed by commentators across the political spectrum. Some questioned whether Pretti had already been disarmed before shots were fired.
The death of Alex Pretti remains under investigation. As new evidence is reviewed, the case continues to shape national discussion around protest policing and federal use of force.
iNews covers the latest and most impactful stories across
entertainment,
business,
sports,
politics, and
technology,
from AI breakthroughs to major global developments. Stay updated with the trends shaping our world. For news tips, editorial feedback, or professional inquiries, please email us at
info@zoombangla.com.
Get the latest news and Breaking News first by following us on
Google News,
Twitter,
Facebook,
Telegram
, and subscribe to our
YouTube channel.



