Tensions overshadowed football in Lisbon after Vinicius Junior accused a Benfica opponent of racial abuse during a tightly contested UEFA Champions League first leg.

The UEFA Champions League tie between Real Madrid and Benfica was halted for roughly 10 minutes after the Brazilian forward approached the referee shortly after scoring the only goal of the match.
Television footage showed Vinicius running toward the official following his celebration, visibly agitated. The referee then initiated the competition’s anti-racism protocol. Players left the pitch as stadium uncertainty grew, before returning once discussions concluded.
Vinicius later wrote on social media that he had been racially abused by Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni. “Racists are, above all, cowards,” he said, adding that he believed the intervention on the field was “a poorly executed protocol that served no purpose.” He also noted he had received a yellow card for his celebration and suggested the episode was not new to him or his team.
Prestianni issued a written statement rejecting the accusation. He said he had not directed racist language toward Vinicius and suggested the forward may have misunderstood what was heard. The midfielder added that he regretted receiving threats following the incident.
Benfica publicly backed their player, citing images they said demonstrated distance between the players at the time and arguing that any words allegedly spoken could not be clearly identified.
The stoppage triggered sharp reactions inside the stadium. One Real Madrid teammate said the alleged slur could not go unanswered and argued that anyone responsible should not continue in the competition. Members of the Spanish club’s coaching staff signalled support for Vinicius, and the team was initially prepared to leave the field in protest before play resumed.
Benfica’s manager spoke directly with Vinicius during the delay and later acknowledged that accounts of the exchange differed. While defending the club’s record, he suggested the goal celebration had been viewed by some as provocative and called for balance in assessing what unfolded.
Real Madrid representatives stressed that racism has no place in football and emphasised the need for clear and effective application of anti-racism procedures.
With the return leg scheduled for Feb. 25, 2026, attention now turns to disciplinary review as much as to tactics. Authorities are expected to examine footage and statements before determining whether further action is warranted.
Read More:
Vivo x300 fe geekbench Listing Confirms Flagship Specs Ahead of Global Launch
For both clubs, preparation continues under scrutiny. The second leg will carry more than sporting weight, as the match unfolds against a backdrop that neither side can ignore.
iNews covers the latest and most impactful stories across
entertainment,
business,
sports,
politics, and
technology,
from AI breakthroughs to major global developments. Stay updated with the trends shaping our world. For news tips, editorial feedback, or professional inquiries, please email us at
info@zoombangla.com.
Get the latest news and Breaking News first by following us on
Google News,
Twitter,
Facebook,
Telegram
, and subscribe to our
YouTube channel.


