A 7.7 magnitude earthquake in Indonesia killed at least 68 people on Flores island, injured more than 200 and damaged thousands of homes, according to the latest Associated Press report published on Monday, August 17. Thousands of residents were waiting for aid as rescue and relief operations continued.
The earthquake struck eastern Indonesia early Saturday, August 15, in East Nusa Tenggara province. AP reported that buildings collapsed onto cars, homes were destroyed and roads were blocked by trees and boulders. The report said more than 4,500 homes were damaged and about 19,000 people were forced into temporary shelters.
AP also reported that the National Disaster Management Agency recorded 213 injuries, along with damage to 122 health facilities, 252 schools and 84 places of worship. The provincial governor declared a 14-day state of emergency on Sunday as authorities continued trying to deliver food, clean water, clothing and medical support.
The U.S. Geological Survey placed the earthquake at a depth of 10 kilometres, or about six miles, shortly before 6 a.m. local time. AP said tsunami warnings issued after the event were later lifted. Authorities continued to monitor aftershocks, and the report said 1,576 had been recorded by Monday, although only 54 were felt by residents.
Earlier coverage by El País, published on August 16, reported a death toll of 53 and more than 5,000 people displaced. That report described landslides across Flores, damage to homes and public facilities, and rescue teams working to reopen access routes. The later AP report raised the confirmed death toll to at least 68 and reported a larger number of people in temporary shelters.
The 7.7 magnitude earthquake Indonesia search term therefore refers to a continuing disaster response rather than a completed event. Rescue teams and authorities were still assessing damage and delivering assistance when the latest report was published. The casualty and damage figures may change as teams reach areas that remained difficult to access.




