A federal judge has ruled against a US policy that suspended immigrant-visa processing for nationals of 75 countries, putting the 75 country visa pause at the centre of a new legal and immigration debate. The Associated Press reported the decision on August 22, while the National Immigration Law Center published details from the court challenge.

US District Judge Jeannette Vargas in New York vacated the policy and said it was contrary to law and beyond the statutory authority of the secretary of state. The policy had directed consular officers to halt immigrant-visa applications from the affected countries under a public-charge rationale.
The federal judge strikes down visa ban ruling said immigration decisions must be made through the individual assessment provided for in federal law. The court’s reasoning, as described by the sources, focused on the role of consular officers and the limits on imposing a nationality-based refusal without a case-specific review.
The lawsuit was brought by nonprofit organisations and individual applicants, including people whose family members had been refused visas. The National Immigration Law Center said the order also set aside visa refusals that rested solely on the challenged policy and required lawful adjudication.
The ruling does not mean every visa application will be approved, and it does not remove ordinary eligibility, security or documentation requirements. Applicants should rely on the State Department and the relevant US embassy or consulate for instructions about case status, appointments and any next steps. The administration may also seek further court action, so the practical effect could develop as agencies respond to the order.



