Close Menu
iNews Zoombangla
  • Bangladesh
  • World
  • Tech
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Bangla
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
iNews Zoombangla
  • Bangladesh
  • World
  • Tech
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Bangla
iNews Zoombangla
Home English Sports FIFA World Cup Mandatory Hydration Breaks Draw Controversy From Players and Coaches
English Sports

FIFA World Cup Mandatory Hydration Breaks Draw Controversy From Players and Coaches

By Hasnat JubaerJune 19, 20263 Mins Read

FIFA‘s decision to implement mandatory hydration and cooling breaks during matches at the 2026 World Cup has generated growing controversy among players, coaches, and tactical analysts, who argue the stoppages are disrupting the natural flow of games and potentially altering outcomes in ways that go beyond the health benefits FIFA cites as justification.

The breaks, introduced formally into the Laws of the Game by IFAB in 2024, are triggered when a wet bulb globe temperature reading — which combines heat, humidity, and solar radiation — exceeds 32 degrees Celsius during a match. When the threshold is met, referees stop play at the next dead ball moment in the first and second halves for a 90-second break. Teams return to their technical areas and receive hydration and coach communication during the window.

Several coaches at the 2026 tournament have objected to the tactical dimension of the breaks. Because teams can speak to their benches during the stoppages, the intervals effectively function as extra 90-second timeouts granted by the weather rather than by planned substitution. A coach whose team is under pressure can use the break to reorganize their defence, reset a high press, or shift formation — options they would not normally have unless making a substitution.

World Cup 2026

Advertisement

Morocco manager Walid Regragui said on Thursday that the breaks were “not football” and that they rewarded teams willing to exploit the tactical pause more than they helped players with their hydration. He said teams that were dominating lost momentum every time a break came, while teams sitting deep and absorbing pressure benefited from the reset.

Players from multiple nations told the FIFA player liaison committee this week that the breaks felt artificial and broke their concentration at critical moments in matches. One unnamed European captain, quoted in a tournament daily bulletin released Friday, said the breaks were “killing the rhythm of the game” in a way that the pre-tournament medical briefings had not adequately prepared players for.

FIFA’s chief medical officer defended the policy, saying player safety in summer heat was not negotiable and that the breaks had been introduced precisely because medical research showed significant risk of heat-related injury during 90 minutes of intense physical activity in high humidity. The US cities hosting matches include Miami, Dallas, and Los Angeles, where summer temperatures regularly exceed the threshold by a wide margin.

Statisticians have begun tracking whether teams that were leading at the break maintained their advantage or whether results diverged from what was expected based on match statistics immediately before the stoppage. Early data from the first nine days of play suggested teams that were level or trailing at a hydration break were slightly more likely than usual to score in the 15 minutes following the restart, though the sample size was too small to draw firm conclusions. Scotland’s manager Steve Clarke said his team had specifically prepared for the breaks and drilled their repositioning during training sessions held in warm weather before the tournament.

The controversy mirrors similar debates about breaks in women’s football and in under-20 World Cups where the measure has been in use longer. In those competitions, there was initial pushback but most coaches eventually accepted the breaks as part of the game’s new environment given the global trend toward hosting major tournaments in hotter climates and seasons.

IFAB said on Friday it would collect data from the 2026 World Cup to assess whether any modifications to the break protocol were warranted. FIFA’s tournament committee has the authority to adjust the temperature threshold mid-tournament if the evidence justified it, though no change was currently planned.

fXinmwalink@tg
Zoom Bangla News
Zoom Bangla News
inews.zoombangla.com
Follow

Follow iNews Zoombangla On Google

Open the Google follow page and tap the checkmark option to receive more updates from iNews Zoombangla in your Google news feed.

Follow iNews Zoombangla On Google
controversy FIFA heat hydration breaks IFAB Soccer
Hasnat Jubaer
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)

Hasnat Jubaer is part of the iNews Desk editorial team, contributing to daily news coverage with a focus on accuracy, clarity, and timely reporting. Working collaboratively within the newsroom, he helps ensure stories are well-researched, clearly written, and aligned with editorial standards. His work supports iNews’ commitment to delivering reliable and relevant news to a global audience.

Related Posts
david morens pleads guilty

Former Fauci adviser David Morens pleads guilty in records case

August 20, 2026
uss lincoln food water shortages

USS Abraham Lincoln deployment draws new scrutiny over sailor conditions

August 20, 2026
fortnite server status

Fortnite server status: Epic begins v42.00 maintenance

August 20, 2026

Latest News

david morens pleads guilty

Former Fauci adviser David Morens pleads guilty in records case

uss lincoln food water shortages

USS Abraham Lincoln deployment draws new scrutiny over sailor conditions

fortnite server status

Fortnite server status: Epic begins v42.00 maintenance

stephany hollihan

Stephany Hollihan among seven killed in Kenya helicopter crash

august 2026 lunar eclipse

How to view the August 2026 partial lunar eclipse

tempsens instruments ipo

Tempsens Instruments IPO opens with ₹285–₹300 price band

khalifa movie

Khalifa movie opens in India with Prithviraj Sukumaran in lead

mutiny jason statham

Mutiny Jason Statham film set for August 21 US release

iran war trump

Iran war Trump tensions rise after Tehran rejects economic threats

milligan university

Milligan University cyclists killed in Tennessee crash, seven injured

 

Inews

iNews Zoombangla is your trusted destination for fast, accurate, and relevant English news. We cover Bangladesh, world affairs, technology, business, sports, entertainment, lifestyle, science, and research for English-language readers. iNews Zoombangla is the English news edition of ZooBangla.

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Career
  • Advertise
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Feed
  • Authors
  • Editorial Team Info
  • Ethics Policy
  • Correction Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • Funding Information
© 2026 ZoomBangla Pvt Ltd. - Powered by ZoomBangla

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

tgXwa