Close Menu
iNews Zoombangla
  • Bangladesh
  • World
  • Tech
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Bangla
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
iNews Zoombangla
  • Bangladesh
  • World
  • Tech
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Bangla
iNews Zoombangla
Home English Hantavirus Outbreak Cruise Ship: Britons Begin Isolation After Tenerife Evacuation
English International Science, Research and Innovation

Hantavirus Outbreak Cruise Ship: Britons Begin Isolation After Tenerife Evacuation

By Tarek HasanMay 11, 20264 Mins Read

Twenty British nationals evacuated from the cruise ship MV Hondius began a period of monitored isolation in northwest England on Sunday night after arriving from Tenerife on a chartered government flight, as health authorities continued efforts to contain an outbreak of the Andes strain of hantavirus linked to the vessel.

Hantavirus Outbreak Cruise Ship

Advertisement

The group was transferred to Arrowe Park Hospital in Merseyside after landing at Manchester Airport. UK health officials said the passengers would remain there for 72 hours before entering a further 42 days of self-isolation, most likely at home.

Professor Robin May, chief scientific officer at the UK Health Security Agency, said all of those brought back to Britain were healthy and showing no symptoms when they arrived.

The outbreak aboard the Dutch cruise ship has already resulted in three deaths. The World Health Organization has confirmed that two of those who died tested positive for hantavirus. Several infections have also been identified among passengers who left the ship and returned to their home countries.

Two British nationals receiving treatment in South Africa and the Netherlands have confirmed infections. Authorities have also reported positive cases involving an American and a French passenger who had previously disembarked and travelled home.

Unlike most forms of hantavirus, which are typically spread through contact with infected rodents and are not known to pass between people, the Andes strain identified in this outbreak can be transmitted from person to person. Health officials have repeatedly stressed that the wider public risk remains very low.

Passengers leaving the ship in Tenerife were seen wearing blue protective clothing as they boarded buses bound for the airport. They underwent testing before boarding the UK-bound flight.

The UKHSA said the repatriation effort had been coordinated with international partners to ensure the safe return of British nationals still on board the vessel.

Among those taken to Arrowe Park Hospital were one German national resident in the UK and one Japanese passenger. Officials said each case would be assessed individually before arrangements were made for home isolation.

May acknowledged the emotional toll the situation had taken on passengers, many of whom left behind most of their belongings during the evacuation.

“They’re going to be absolutely shattered,” Janelle Holmes, chief executive of Wirral University Teaching Hospital Trust, said as the group arrived. She said the former passengers would stay in self-contained accommodation with specialist support teams available throughout their quarantine period.

If symptoms develop, patients will be transferred to the Royal Liverpool University Hospital, home to the region’s Tropical and Infectious Diseases Unit.

Emergency services said the hospital trust continued to operate normally and that there was no additional risk to staff, visitors or other patients.

Elsewhere, concern remains focused on a British man in isolation on Tristan da Cunha, a remote island in the South Atlantic, where he is considered a suspected case. The Ministry of Defence said six British Army paratroopers and two medical clinicians had parachuted onto the island to assist local medical staff, marking what it described as the first military humanitarian medical deployment of its kind.

Two other Britons who left the ship earlier at St Helena on 24 April are voluntarily isolating at home in the UK.

The MV Hondius departed Ushuaia, Argentina, on 1 April carrying around 150 passengers and crew from 28 countries. During the voyage north through the South Atlantic, two passengers died and several others became seriously ill before the ship eventually reached Tenerife on 10 May.

Also Read:

Naagin 7 Episode 40 Airs Tonight as Rivalries Deepen in Supernatural Drama

Some crew members and a Dutch nurse remain on board alongside the body of a passenger who died during the voyage. The vessel is expected to continue to Rotterdam, where health authorities say it will undergo disinfection as investigations into the outbreak continue.

fXinmwalink@tg
Zoom Bangla News
Zoom Bangla News
inews.zoombangla.com
Follow

Follow iNews Zoombangla On Google

Open the Google follow page and tap the checkmark option to receive more updates from iNews Zoombangla in your Google news feed.

Follow iNews Zoombangla On Google
Tarek Hasan
  • Website
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • Instagram

Tarek Hasan is a professional journalist and currently works as a sub-editor at Zoom Bangla News. With six years of experience in journalism, he is an experienced writer with a strong focus on accuracy, clarity, and editorial quality. His work contributes to delivering reliable and engaging news content to digital audiences.

Related Posts
apple iphone 18 pro max

iPhone 18 Pro Max rumors shift focus to a split iPhone 18 launch and camera upgrades

August 22, 2026
Riya Ahir seeks FIR withdrawal as Mumbai protest

Riya Ahir seeks FIR withdrawal as Mumbai protest harassment complaint draws police attention

August 22, 2026
Niu Lai Chinese movie box office

Niu Lai Chinese movie box office surge triggers debate over cinema standards

August 22, 2026

Latest News

apple iphone 18 pro max

iPhone 18 Pro Max rumors shift focus to a split iPhone 18 launch and camera upgrades

Riya Ahir seeks FIR withdrawal as Mumbai protest

Riya Ahir seeks FIR withdrawal as Mumbai protest harassment complaint draws police attention

Niu Lai Chinese movie box office

Niu Lai Chinese movie box office surge triggers debate over cinema standards

2027 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid redesign reported

2027 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid redesign reported, powertrain unconfirmed

Realme P4s 5G

realme P4s 5G confirmed with Dimensity 7400 Ultra and 1.5K 144Hz display

yash toxic movie

Toxic movie trailer expands Yash’s period gangster world with dual role and ensemble cast

GJ 523b

GJ 523b: Astronomers Confirm a Rocky Mega-Earth 23 Times More Massive

Lily Hooper

Lily Hooper Found Dead After Search, Family Was Initially Given Wrong News

Lalithaa Jewellery

Lalithaa Jewellery IPO Allotment Status: Refunds and Share Credit Due August 21

Nick Kyrgios

Nick Kyrgios Provisionally Suspended After Positive Cocaine Test, ITIA Says

 

Inews

iNews Zoombangla is your trusted destination for fast, accurate, and relevant English news. We cover Bangladesh, world affairs, technology, business, sports, entertainment, lifestyle, science, and research for English-language readers. iNews Zoombangla is the English news edition of ZooBangla.

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Career
  • Advertise
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Feed
  • Authors
  • Editorial Team Info
  • Ethics Policy
  • Correction Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • Funding Information
© 2026 ZoomBangla Pvt Ltd. - Powered by ZoomBangla

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

tgXwa